to the joy of learning…
Recipes for Learning tm provides rookie moms and dads and grandparents ACCESS to information that is always useful, easy to use and fun to do.
The information lays a foundation for learning and fuels it for life. Everything we offer is based on universal principles and common sense practices.
I did what I know,
And when I knew
better … I did better.
3 THINGS TO KNOW
- YOU ARE THE EXPERT. You love your child which qualifies you to usually know what is best.
- WHAT YOU KNOW is a starting point, a foundation that you can build upon.
- YOUR LOVE & TIME are the best gift you can give your child
Your time investment is 10 minutes everyday.
WHY 10 MINUTES?
Brain scientists and reading experts have discovered the importance of ten minutes. Our adult cycles in and out of attention on average every ten minutes.
“The brain seems to be making choices according to some stubborn timing pattern, undoubtedly influenced by by both culture and gene.”
- John Medina, author of Brain Rules and Brain Rules for Baby
“Spend at least ten wildly happy minutes every single day reading aloud.”
- Mem Fox’s Read Aloud Commandments
“Don’t confuse quantity with quality. Reading to your child for ten minutes, with your full attention and enthusiasm, may very well last longer in the child’s mind than two hours of solitary television watching.”
- Jim Trealease, Read Aloud Handbook
A CHILD’S ATTENTION SPAN
On average a child pays attention 1 minute per year of age. For example, your son or daughter is two. They may pay attention for about 2 minutes. You have 10 minutes to give and they only need 2 minutes. They are happy. You are happy. They are not frustrated. You don’t feel guilty not spending enough time with them. The bonus is you have another 8 minutes to give for something else they want to do.
You learn to learn and teach with your child. The more you learn and practice, the more confidence you have. The joy of learning comes from the doing.
When you hear something, you forget
When you see something, you will remember it
But not until you do something will you understand it.
- Sign up for the Learning Tips for Busy Moms & Dads. You receive 10 tips for 10 days to jump start your learning and practice. Then, a weekly digest that provides new learning and practice to keep you going.
- Read the blog posts for simple, easy and fun guidance.
- Share your comments and questions to pay it forward.
“It’s what you learn after you know it all that counts.” – Harry Truman